Sunday, September 23, 2012

Just Admit It

When I’m driving down the road, I believe that the other drivers sharing the road with me will observe the same set of rules of the road and regulations of the legislature that I will. When I come to a traffic light, I believe that others will stop when it turns red and that they will go when it turns green. Even when I’m running or riding my bicycle, I believe that the people who are behind the wheel of a vehicle will act in a way that is consistent with what I have come to believe is the acceptable behavior of an operator of a motor vehicle.

When I go to the doctor’s office, I believe that the doctor will use the skills and knowledge he or she has acquired through years of training and practice to diagnose and treat whatever condition I have. If the doctor prescribes medication or some other form of treatment, I believe that it will help me become more healthy. Even when I’m feeling well, I will schedule a visit periodically just to make sure that I haven’t missed a problem that could endanger my life.

When I go to the bank to deposit my paycheck, I believe that the teller will post the amount to my account, that the other officers and employees of the bank will be faithful stewards of my funds, and that when I decide to use some of my money to pay someone else for goods or services, that the money will be available to pay them. Even when I use cash, the transaction is based on that fact that both parties believe that the paper changing hands is worth something.

I could go on and on. Every day there are hundreds, if not thousands, of transactions that depend on one person believing that another person will do what they are expected to do. It would difficult, if not impossible, to sustain a community without such trust. That’s one of the reasons, we respond so negatively when we experience a situation where someone betrays our trust.

You may feel very uncomfortable leading someone to confess faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. What I want you to see is that people are already placing their faith in all kinds of practices and processes and people. And they are doing this in spite of those things being unproven, unpredictable, and unfaithful.

You have the distinct privilege of inviting them to say yes to the invitation of the one who loves them, forgives them, and accepts them with a faithfulness that is unparalleled in this world. They may be waiting for someone to join them in admitting they need to accept that gift of grace. May God give you the boldness to offer that invitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment