Thursday, January 27, 2011

Use It or Lose It

It happened again. There was something I needed to do. A little task to complete. A skill to demonstrate. Nothing I hadn’t done before. Lots of times. I had the tools I needed. They seemed like old friends when I pulled them out. Had it really been that long since I had used them?

It didn’t take long for me to realize I had lost much of the expertise I had once developed. The years of neglect were not inconsequential. What had once been so simple now became a challenge that required every bit of my attention—and I still couldn’t do it as well as I remembered.

Perhaps something like this has happened to you. You pulled that band instrument down out of the attic. You uncovered your paints and brushes while you were cleaning out the closet. You stumbled across those chisels you thought you had given away. However it happened, you were reminded of an ability you once had that has atrophied due to your lack of attention and practice.

God gives gifts to his children. You were created by a loving God who designed you in his image and has a special role for you to fulfill in his eternal plan. You are unique, your circumstances are unique, and you bring special distinction to God’s family. This is not an excuse for anyone to think too highly of themselves or to become self-centered. Rather, it is a reminder to consider your responsibility for making the most of your natural abilities, your acquired skills, and your spiritual gifts.

You may be tempted to think that only people with remarkable skills and brilliant minds are truly useful in God’s service. The truth is that no person is more useful in the Lord’s service than any other person who is equally obedient and yielded to God. The true measure of your value to the work of the Kingdom is not related to your prominence, superiority or popularity; but to your faith in God and your commitment to him.

Don’t let what happened to me happen to you. Be aware of the abilities God has given you. Believe that God has given them to you to be used to serve God’s people. Look for confirmation from those who serve with you. Discern the particular occasions and circumstances where your gift is needed. Most of all, exercise your gift at every opportunity God brings your way. That is the way to make the most of every ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment